Title: Biohome - Residential Gateway for People with Special Needs
Principal Investigator: Ph.D. Begoña García Zapirain
Participants: Deustotech LIFE, -
In this project we develop a home automation system for handicapped people and it aims to improve the quality of life of handicapped people, enhancing their autonomy
The objectives of this project are:
- To increase the autonomy and self-esteem of handicapped people
- To assist in daily activities to improve their quality of life
- To monitor and protect the health of handicapped people providing security
The main features of the system are:
- Biometric Access to enter the house instead of using physical keys. We use two technologies: palm vein authentication system and RFID cards. We can combine both, or just use one.
- Home automation to control the house. We use two technologies: X10 that operates through the electric current, and ZigBee, to control devices.
- Videoconferencing. . It has a system for videoconferencing between houses or between the residence and the elderly person.
- Messages and warnings. We can schedule alerts and warnings and also alerts can be sent from the residence, for example to remind the person to take a specific pill, etc.
- User friendly. Everything is controlled with a remote control. Furthermore, the system is connected to TV, and the information is displayed over the TV image.